Princess Cruises announces expansion of onboard WiFi
Princess Cruises has announced that its high-speed onboard WiFi, MedallionNet, will be available on ten of its ships – more than half the line’s fleet – by the end of 2019.
MedallionNet is currently available on four ships: Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess and Ruby Princess. The rollout will continue throughout the fleet as follows:
· The UK-based 3,080-guest Crown Princess on June 30 during a summer of departures from Southampton across the British Isles
· 3,080-guest Emerald Princess on August 3 as it sails the Mediterranean with departures from Rome, Athens and Barcelona
· 2,600-guest Golden Princess on December 20 as she departs on a variety of voyages in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific
· 2,000-guest Coral Princess on April 5 and 2,200-guest Island Princess on May 15 during their respective Alaska seasons
· The newest addition to the fleet, 3,660-guest Sky Princess will begin service in October fully Medallion-activated
Tony Roberts, vice president Princess Cruises UK & Europe, said: “The expansion of MedallionNet to a further six ships means that more guests than ever before can experience land-like connection speeds from anywhere on the ship. MedallionNet is a huge step forward for WiFi at sea and offers guests fast, affordable, reliable and unlimited connectivity at sea.
“Guests now have the option to stay connected whenever and wherever they are. MedallionNet gives them the option to stream, video chat and connect as much or as little as they’d like, making it quicker and easier to keep in touch with friends and family back home and share those once-in-a-lifetime holiday experiences without sacrificing time at sea or ashore.”
Dates for MedallionNet to go live on the remaining seven ships in the Princess fleet will be confirmed in due course.
Princess has also announced the dates when three more of its ships will be fully Ocean Medallion-activated in 2019. They are Royal Princess on April 13, Crown Princess on July 24 and the newest ship in the fleet, Sky Princess, when it launches in the Mediterranean on October 20.
The Medallion is the same size as a 10p piece, is fully-automated and has no visible technology such as an on-off switch or charging function. It offers a number of guest benefits including:
* A streamlined embarkation and disembarkation process, meaning guests can get on and off the ship more easily, allowing them to make the most of time onboard and ashore
* Keyless stateroom access meaning guests no longer need a keycard
* Enhanced and personalised service from crew members as crew can see guest’s individual food and drink preferences, loyalty level and other information and offer a more personal interaction
* OceanNow allows guests to order food and drink from their mobile phone or smart device wherever they are on the ship, whilst the Ocean Medallion tells crew exactly where they are located
* OceanCompass, which is available on guests’ phone or tablet and on portals throughout the ship, works alongside the Ocean Medallion to allow people to easily locate friends, family and their children, as well as finding their way to a variety of facilities and venues located around the ship
* Easy payment for drinks, shore excursions and other onboard services
* JourneyView offers guests an interactive timeline via portals throughout the ship and on their phone or tablet, allowing them to view their real-time itinerary, along with events and activities taking place during their cruise
* Interactive games that can be played on portals across the vessel and the top deck ‘Movies Under The Stars’ screen, including trivia challenges and a ship-wide digital scavenger hunt
Princess Cruises is offering a 7-night Mediterranean sailing on Emerald Princess, from £599 per person. Departing August 10, 2019 and sailing from Barcelona to Rome, ports of call include Gibraltar, Marseille, Genoa and Florence/Pisa (Livorno).
About Princess Cruises:
One of the best-known names in cruising, Princess Cruises is a global premium cruise line and tour company operating a fleet of 17 modern cruise ships, carrying two million guests each year on 170 itineraries to more than 380 destinations around the globe, including the Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, Europe, South America, Australia/New Zealand, the South Pacific, Hawaii, Asia, Canada/New England and World Cruises. Itineraries range in length from three to 111 days.
In 2017 Princess Cruises, with parent company Carnival Corporation, introduced MedallionClass cruises enabled by the Ocean Medallion – the cruises industry’s most advanced wearable device, provided free to each guest sailing on a MedallionClass ship. The award-winning innovation offers the fastest way to a hassle-free, personalised cruise, giving guests more opportunity to enjoy their time onboard. Ocean Medallion will be activated on five ships by the end of 2019. An activation plan will continue across the global fleet in 2020 and beyond.
Three new Royal-class ships are currently on order with the next new ship, Sky Princess, under construction and scheduled for delivery in October 2019 followed by Enchanted Princess in June 2020. Princess recently announced that two new (LNG) ships which will be the largest ships in the Princess fleet, accommodating approximately 4,300 guests with expected delivery in 2023 and 2025. Princess now has five ships arriving over the next six years between 2019 & 2025. The company is part of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE:CUK).
As always, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and for your continued support.
Forever grateful – Claire Harris xx